10 Top Tips How To Save Heat And Money For Nothing
These heat saving tips cost nothing to implement. and may seem obvious but from experience most people ignore them and waste money unnecessarily. Some only require getting into the habit of thinking is there a good reason why I am doing it.
For more ideas on saving heat check out saving heat room by room.
For more detailed information on these tips take a look at the heat saving section.
1. Turn The Central Heating Temperature Down A Few Degrees
You may not even notice the difference - if not try turning it down even further. Every 1 degree above 19C costs around 10% extra. If you have just a simple room thermostat turn it down a few degrees, if you have thermostatic valves try turning them all down a bit, turning the ones in unused rooms down more.
2. Turn The Hot Water Temperature Down A Few Degrees
You may not even notice the difference - if not try turning it down even further.
3. Close The Curtains At Night In All Rooms
Not just the rooms you are using - make sure curtains are not hanging over radiators. Open them again in the morning to get the heating effect of the sun into rooms. In north facing rooms leave the curtains closed all day if the room is not in use.
4. Don't Leave Windows And Doors Open Unnecessarily
How often has a window been left open and forgotten? Shut outside doors properly to reduce draughts, also shut doors to unheated or cooler areas of the house.
5. Set Thermostatic Radiator Valves Properly
So that all rooms are the required temperature. Turn off or turn down radiators in rooms not used for long periods.
6. Keep Furniture Away From Radiators
To improve air circulation. Don't hang towels and clothes over radiators. Make sure the area under radiators is completely clear.
7. Use A Shower Or Only Fill The Bath WIth As Much Water As You Need
The means less hot water is used. Beware of power showers which can use a lot of water.
8. Don't Empty Hot Baths Until The Water Has Cooled Down
Emptying a hot bath is putting heat down the drain.
9. Turn The Central Heating System Off At Night
Set the heating to come on about 15 minutes before you normally get up and go off around half an hour before you normally go to bed. Good home insulation speeds system warm up and slows cool down.
10. Run The Hot Tap Until The Water Runs Hot Don't Turn On The Cold Tap At The Same Time
There isn't much point cooling down water that isn't hot enough yet and it saves on water heating. Also saves water.